The Data Science Land
The Data Science Land is a joking multiplayer scenario for the Battle for Wesnoth, free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme. I hope you to enjoy machine learning in a fantasy world.
- Download: A scenario of the Data Science Land (Updated 2017/01/14)
Five great countries battle with each other for the supremacy of the Data Science Land. Afterward, historians call this turbulent time, “The Big Data Era.”
- The Holy Statistical State
- is used to be the Theoretical Statistics Empire, and this country is currently ruled by the Great Pontiff of the Kolmism.
- The Neural Network Empire
- builds the impregnable Fortress of Deep Learning and begins to move its undead armies.
- The Bayesian League
- has been gathered its economic force from trades through the Linear and Non-Linear Rivers and harvests of the Markov Random Field.
- The United Kernelian Kingdom
- is lead by the king Feature, who owns the legendary sword, Convexcalibur.
- The Rule-based Federation
- consists of three republics and confronts with the other countries by the force of the Random Forest.
- Install the Wesnoth by following an instruction of the Wesnoth.
- Download a scenario of the Data Science Land.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Place the unzipped an add-on folder as in an appropriate add-on path:
- Mac OS X:
- Select the multiplayer and Local options, and start the scenario “5p — Data Science Land”.
- By its default setting, you can enjoy an automatic battle between AIs. Of course, you can play as a human player, though this map is very time consuming.
A History of the Data Science Land
Holy Statistical State
- In the 19th century, the Statistics Empire has been governed almost all the Data Science Land (Pax Statisticana). However, the region around the Predicate Island were independent.
- As the expansion of empire’s territory, the empire divide its territory into two administrative regions: the Theoretical Statistics Empire and the Practical Statistics Empire.
- In 1950’s, the Machine Learnian migrated into the DS land over the Computer Science Ocean (Migration of Machine Learnians). Due to the erosion of ML countries and the independence of subject tribes, the Practical Statistics Empire has finally disintegrated.
- In early 1990’s, the Theoretical Statistics Empire defeated the Neural Network Empire at the Battle of the Local Minima Swamp.
- After the union of the Kernelian kingdoms, the Theoretical Statistics Empire considered the increase of the kingdom’s power as the threat against the empire, and attacked the united kingdom. However, the empire was defeated at the Battle of the Over-Fitting Valley and lost the territory of the south of the Regularization Mountains.
- After the battle, the emperor lost the support of the senates and people, and a religious force of the Kolmism rose. The emperor abdicated from the throne, and the Holy Statistical State, which was governed by the Great Pontiff, was established.
Neural Network Empire
- In 1940s, the Synapse Dungeon emerged and started to expand in a deep underground of the Brain Science Highland, which was at the northeast of the DS land.
- In 1958, the first emperor, Connectionist Ⅰ, built an imperial capital city, Perceptron, and established the Neural Network Empire.
- In connection with the migration of Machine Learnian, the dungeon has been grown.
- In 1969, the first emperor was killed by an unidentified assassin, XOR, and the empire greatly lost its power.
- The next emperor, Connectionist Ⅱ, built a new capital, Backpropagation. The dungeon expanded entire the underground of the BS Highland, and began to invade the outside of the dungeon.
- In the early 1990’s, the emperor was killed at the Battle of Local Minima Swamp. The empire retreated into the deep in the dungeon.
- However, the undead empire revived again. A new emperor, Connectionist Ⅲ, was enthroned.
- Over two decades, the emperor constructed the Fortress of Deep Learning in the Marsh of Parameter Tuning, which it had been considered impossible to develop for a long time. The empire rapidly increased its power based on the fortress.
- The Gaussian, which was the largest city in the DS land, was the capital of the Statistics Empire and then that of the Practical Statistics Empire.
- After the fall of the PS empire, leading figures of the Gaussian established an autonomous government, and the Gaussian became a free city, the Gaussian Burgh. The cities around the Gaussian formed an urban confederacy, the Distributional League.
- In 1980’s, the Graphical Model League gathered its economic force from the commerce at the side of the Lake Marginalization. These two leagues were allied, and the Bayesian League was born.
- The league joined the triple alliance and won at the Battle of the Local Minima Swamp.
- In 1990’s, countries and cities in the Monte Carlo, Inference, and Topic Model Regions joined the league. The Bayesian League governed the entire the Markov Random Field.
- In 2000’s, after the conflict at the Gaussian process, the league constructed the Wall of Non-Parametric Bayes to confront the United Kernelian Kingdom.
- Recently, the league built the forts at the Monte Carlo and Topic Model Regions to resist the Fortress of the Deep Learning.
United Kernelian Kingdom
- The Kernelian, one of the Machine Learnians, founded seven kingdoms, also known as the Hepkerchy, at the southwest of the DS land.
- The king Feature of the Linear Kernel Kingdom obtained the legendary sword, the Convexcalibur, and extended his territory.
- The Linear Kernel Kingdom allied with the Theoretical Statistics Empire and the Bayesian League. The king Feture killed Connectionist Ⅱ by his Convexcalibur at the Battle of the Local Minima Swamp.
- The king Feature won renown after the battle, and became the leader of Kernelian kingdoms. The Hepkerchy kingdoms united, and the United Kernelian Kingdom was formed.
- The kingdom intercepted the invasion of the TS empire at the Over-Fitting Valley. After the battle, the united kingdom occupied the south territory of the Regularization Mountains.
- In 1995, the kingdom established the influence in the Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Dessert and brought the Support Vector Fortress to completion.
- The kingdom conflicted with the Bayesian League at the Gaussian Process city.
- In 2000’s, based on the Convolution Kernel city, the kingdom deforested the Gram Jangle and developed new kernels, such as the String Kernel.
- In the 19 century, when the Statistics Empire governed almost entire the DS land, the Formal Logic Kingdom at the Predicate Island was independent from the empire.
- In 1950’s, the Symbolian, one of Machine Learnian, occupied the Formal Logic Kingdom, and the Inductive Logic Programming Republic was established.
- Symbolian founded other small kingdoms, such as the ID3 and the CART. These countries afterward integrated into the Decision Rule Kingdom.
- In 1994, the Association Rule city became independent as the Frequent Pattern Republic from the DS kingdom. For a decade, the republic expanded the north half of the Propositional Peninsula (Rurenaissance).
- In early 2000’s, a revolution was accomplished in the Decision Rule Kingdom, and the king, Rule ⅩⅥ, was executed. The Decision Rule Republic was born.
- To resist the expansion of the Bayesian League and the Neural Network Empire, three republics formed the Rule-based Federation.
- In 2000’s, the Decision Rule Republic reclaimed the Probabilistic Logic Island.
A Geography of the Data Science Land
Holy Statistical State
The Temple of Central Limit, which is the head temple of the Kolmism, is at the top of the Central Limit Mountain. The founder of the Kolmism is St. Kolmo, who experienced divine revelation, appearing three axioms on a blackboard. A doctrine of the Kolmism can be represented by the one sentence, “God does play dice with the world.”
There is the Lake Likelihood, which is the source of the Linear River, at the center of the Sampling Basin. At a north shore of the lake, there is the Mean city, which is still a economic and cultural center of the Holy Statistical State, though a political center was moved to the temple.
At the Generalized Linear Model Hills and the Model Selection Basin, which are great grain-producing regions, there are two major cities, the Linear Regression and Logistic Regression.
The Low-Dimensional Valley is separated by the Gate of Significance, and the west part of the gate is possessed by the state.
Neural Network Empire
The Old Synapse Dungeon was built in the reign of the Connectionist Ⅰ, and is separated from the new dungeon by the Abyss of Feedbacks and Unsupervised Chasm. At the deepest dungeon, there is an old capital, Perceptron.
The New Synapse Dungeon was built in the reign of the Connectionist Ⅱ. The Backpropagation is at the center of the Synapse Dungeon.
The Fortress of the Deep Learning was constructed in the Marsh of the Parameter Tuning. Many new cities, such as the DropOut and ReLU, were built in this fortress.
The Distributional Region is a metropolitan area of the Gaussian Burgh. The burgh is surrounded by the Long Tail moat, and the moat is connected with both Linear and Non-Linear Rivers by canals. A water transportation by exploiting these moat and canals makes the burgh the trade center of the DS land, and the trades brings fabulous wealth to the Bayesian League.
This Graphical Model city is at a shore of Lake Marginalization and dominates trades in the upper waters of the Linear River.
The Markov Random Field, which is between two great rivers, is a fertile granary. The Topic Model Region is a north half of the north MRF. A west part of the west MRF is called the Monte Calro Region. It was rapidly developed in 1990’s, and its center is the Gibbs sampling city. A south part of the west MRF is the Inference Region.
The Bayesian Network, which is the central city of this region, was developed in 1980’s, but the region has been greatly evolved in 2000’s.
The Stochastic Process Island is a delta of the Linear River, which have been developed in 2000’s to confront with the Support Vector Fortress of the kingdom.
United Kernelian Kingdom
Seven Kernelian kingdoms were colonized around the Margin Bay. The Inner Product Castle, where the king Feature resides, is next to the capital, Linear Kernel.
The Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Dessert, which is at a northwest of the kingdom, is guarded by the Support Vector Fortress. Cities in the Gram Jangle were newly cultivated.
The Boolean District is the capital of the federation. The federation expands the Propositional Peninsula and the Predicate Island. The federation introduces the technology from the Ensemble Plain, and the rich Random Forest spreads entire the territory.
A north half of the peninsula is the Frequent Pattern Republic, whose capital is the Association Rule city. A north border is defended by the Great Wall of Interpretability. A south part of the peninsula, the Island Root Node, and the Probabilistic Logic Island comprise the Decision Rule Republic, whose capital is C4.5, formerly the ID3.
The Inductive Logic Programming Republic is at the Predicate Island. This island was independent even in the Pax Statisticana era.
A east region of the Low-Dimensional Valley is a buffer zone between three northern countries. The Principal Component Analysis is an important location in the transportation to connect the northern countries.
The Ensemble Plain is located between the NN empire and the federation. While northern cities in the plain, such as the Mixture of Experts, allies with the empire, southern cities, such as the Boosting, allies with the federation.
The Time-Series Strait, in which a few undersea cities exist, separates the Kernelian empire and the federation. The Point Estimation Hills are at the Anti-Bayesian Alps, and several mining cities are located in these hills.